RIP MySpace Robots

MySpace recently shut down all of the major providers of automated MySpace marketing applications or "robots". What started as a great tool for small businesses had become a spammer’s paradise. Instead of targeted and ethical marketing campaigns MySpace quickly became polluted with everything from free gift card scams to adult web cam sites. Add this to the increasing problem of MySpace accounts being phished and members found themselves receiving huge amounts of advertisements from deceivingly fake profiles. My profile receives up to 500 messages each day with 99% of them clearly coming from automated software or phishing campaigns.

So in the end its a big win for MySpace and the community however a lot of work is still needed to protect its members. They have added spam tagging to messages but just like an ISP they need filters to stop the flow before it arrives to a member. If someone sends the same exact email 500 times a day, that should probably be a clue to shut down the account.

Here is the dead pool so far:

Space Promoter seems to be have been the main target for MySpace who according to the blogoshere asked for the following terms to avoid a lawsuit:

• Turn over the domain spacepromoter.com to MySpace
  • Owner can’t update or support the program
  • Owner can’t talk about MySpace marketing or anything against their TOS again
  • They wanted 100% of the profits (supposedly this was talked down to 50%)
  • Owner can’t use MySpace or another Fox News web site ever again
  • Turn over customer list.

I contacted the owner Joseph Tierney to verify this info but have not received a reply as of yet. He had contacted me some time back for help promoting his new application and while it was certainly a very creative tool it was too spam friendly for me. In a few minutes you could create 100’s of fake profiles and post all your advertisements and tricky links with great automated ease. Thanks to this software MySpace now has millions of fake profiles among its ranks which can easily distort some of its total member numbers. Their legal problems (real or not) caused a cascade throughout business and the other sites closed within a few weeks of each other. For MySpace this is much cheaper than a day in court and overall better for the community itself.

RIP little robots…

Ratings: (on a scale of 1-5 hams)

• Social Networking
  • News Corp’s Wrath
  • Thanks for the Add!

**Update 04/11 – Badder Adder application is now down as well, it had continued to work even after they closed shop. They recently lost their domain due to the closing of registerfly which I’m sure has caused massive problems for others as well. They are in the process of getting the domain back now but its going to be a few days. The software makes a DNS call to badderadder.com to check the serial number before letting you proceed to using it. Registered users are now getting messages that their 30 min trial has expired.

This entry was posted in Myspace. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to RIP MySpace Robots

1. Dave says:

How do you explain the fact that certain bots like Eek Adder continued unscathed?

2. Sean says:

From what I read on their site they haven’t received notice because they only operate the most ethical types of software. How they claim this im not sure because who knows what type of customer is buying the software. I’m sure MySpace wants to eliminate all 100% of companies like this but thats just not feasible. So instead they went after the most destructive one to their network.

MySpace is also yet to take a software company to court, just phishers and the IM genius that tried to extort money. Truth is it might even be difficult for them to prove misuse on a case by case basis. So instead the wonderful C&D is sent which is usually a much cleaner end to it all.

Even I have received a C&D from MySpace, to me however that just says my marketing had enough impact to catch their attention. ;)

3. LoLo says:

Better late than never I guess.

This will only keep such proggies out of the hands of the extremely small time spammers though. ScriptLance, RentaCoder, etc will likely be flooded with postings for bots now.

4. Faye Parker says:

Above you state that “Friendadder.com” is dead. Not sure what you mean by that. I had given the advice to bands I rep to purchase Friendadder.com to add up 500 friends requests per day. I believed it was a good website. Was that bad advice? How else do these bands get their music heard by the ca-zillion like so many other bands that could not possibly had that many people hear their music. PLEASE ADVISE SOON!!! Thanks!

5. friendadder has reopened since this post was first written

6. Edog says:

Can anyone tell me which programs are safe/considered ethical? I can only find conflicting information in regards to what programs are still running or which ones will get your profile deleted. any help is appreciated.

7. Vincent says:

I’m a promoter… I do all of my promoting ethically for concerts. I use friendadder.com and bought the friendadder and the friendmessenger for like $60.00.

I’m wondering if any action can be taken against friendadder.com since they shut their site and left it’s users stranded.

Please help. It’s a rediculously tedious task to promote like this to over 10,000 fans on myspace.

8. Vincent,

No, no and no.

You are dealing with small time operations so im not sure what type of action you want to take? Sue them for $60? Go over and bust their knee caps?

9. Sean says:

I’m for the knee cap shattering. Who’s with me?

10. Ross says:

all friend adder would have to do to placate all of us who bought their program is provide one last update that makes it no longer require verification. it is a fully functional program in and of itself and doesn’t need the friend adder site to work beyond password checking.

i wish they would do this. i’m very, very frustrated to be out $50 for something that i only used legally and ethically.

11. Yes,EI purchased the friendadder/program for roughly $60.00 back when. Ei.m ae musician/visual artist/ but ei do knot have thee time to go through various listings ov 7000+ people to message them and generate even ae mild hook ov exposure. The issue ov LEGALITY on the internet is a joke. so ei.m for the knee cap busting anyone that bought any ov these programs will most likely not be refunded/credited. seeing as myspace now owns these property domains ? at that/ mei concern is since myspace has these domains/ and user listings ov registered program users: would they knot then be able to access even :MORE: personal data from the individuals that are using these programs ?

hmmmm.

BRANDON DAI CAHAL-

A FIELD OF BLACK ORCHIDS-

12. Yes,EI purchased the friendadder/program for roughly $60.00 back when. Ei.m ae musician/visual artist/ but ei do knot have thee time to go through various listings ov 7000+ people to message them and generate even ae mild hook ov exposure. The issue ov LEGALITY on the internet is a joke. so ei.m for the knee cap busting anyone that bought any ov these programs will most likely not be refunded/credited. seeing as myspace now owns these property domains ? at that/ mei concern is since myspace has these domains/ and user listings ov registered program users: would they knot then be able to access even :MORE: personal data from the individuals that are using these programs ?

hmmmm.

BRANDON DAI CAHAL-

A FIELD OF BLACK ORCHIDS-

13. John says:

I am lost on why the people that used the program the CORRECT way should suffer.
    I paid for the friend adder, commenter, and messenger. i dont remember the price exactly.

but it wasnt cheap.

i need a solution. please help!

14. Great blog right here! Additionally your web site rather a lot up very fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink to your host? I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol